Crónica do Migas
Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

11 abril 2007

 

Liar, liar, pants on fire


Check it out.
The school bell rang.
This wasn't a bad thing. It rang every day. But today it rang from half a block away. I was late.
By the time I got to school, everyone else was pledging allegiance. I pledged along with them while I ran down the hall.It sounded more like huffing and puffing and gasping and wheezing. But it was really pledging.
I caught up to Jerry Paradise just outside our third-grade classroom.
He sneered at me. "Boy, Zoe. Are you ever in trouble!"
"Me?" I said. "You're as late as I am!"
When Jerry has something on you, he goes ballistic. He bounces up and down, and his voice gets high-pitched, like a bird's.
"I've got an excuse!" chirped Jerry. "I've got a note! Mrs. Moore! Mrs. Moore!"
I followed him into class. He pushed the paper right up to Mrs. Moore's face.
"My dad just left on a business trip to Japan," he announced. "So I got to go to the airport to say good-bye."
Our teacher read the note. "What an exciting trip," she told Jerry.
The she turned to me. "And how about you, Zoe? Why weren't you in class when the bell rang?"
I frowned. It's pretty easy to tell the truth when your dad takes airplane trips to amazing far-away places.
"Check it out," I began. "I was on the bus --"
"You walk to school!" squawked Jerry.
"I was walking to school," I restarted, "and I met this really famous movie star."
"Oh wow!" cried Brittany Sanders. "Which one?"
Oops. Brittany knew about all the actors, and their clothes designers, and what kind of cars they drove. Her mom used to be a fashion model. I had to be careful.
"He made me promise not to say," I replied in a low voice. "If too many people find out there's a movie star in our town, he'll get mobbed."
"Liar, liar, pants on fire!" called Jerry.

Copyright (c) 1997 Gordon Korman

Etiquetas: ,


Bocas:
Enviar um comentário

<- Página Principal